Are you prepared for a power outage?

Power outages happen for numerous reasons. Are you & your inflatables prepared for the next power outage? Just this week in Pennsylvania an indoor bounce house collapsed on a 4 year old when the indoor center’s power was knocked out by a storm. The 4 year old was jumping in a large Batman inflatable when the power outage caused the bouncer to deflate with the little girl inside. The father had to pull the little girl up to the netting so that she wouldn’t suffocate as the inflatable came down on top of her. Continue reading “Are you prepared for a power outage?”

Father Sues After 3-year Breaks Leg

According to New Jersey news sources, a father has just filed a lawsuit against the owners of an indoor bounce house center. Earlier this year, while 3-year old Daniel was celebrating his birthday, he fell out of a bounce house. The fall caused the child to break his leg. According to the families attorney, Daniel now walks with a limp.

The lawsuit claims that the Indoor Center is at fault due to: “improper supervision, lack of proper control, overcrowding & failure to properly maintain a bounce house.”. The lawsuit is seeking compensatory damages for “the loss of services of his son, including guidance, companionship, assistance, household services and society”. Continue reading “Father Sues After 3-year Breaks Leg”

Bounce House Blower Starts Fire in Indoor Center

Jump On It Fire

An Indoor Center in Maryland called “Jump On It”,  recently experienced a fire that was caused by a malfunction of one of the bounce house blowers. According to news reports, a parent alerted the staff around 12:40 on September 9th that they noticed smoke coming from the blower attached to the Batman inflatable. The smoke turned to flames and the parent told others in the facility as well as the front desk who used the intercoms to alert everyone.

Continue reading “Bounce House Blower Starts Fire in Indoor Center”

Heat Dangers in a Bounce House? – Heat Index Chart Included

We have all heard the stories of children & pets left in hot cars, but most of us have never really thought about the possible dangers inside of a bouncer on a hot day. A study on the impact of temperature on bounce houses was just published last Thursday in the “Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society”. The study called “Do Inflatable Bounce Houses Pose Heat-related Hazards to Children” was performed last summer by the University of Georgia. The University conducted experiments on wind speeds & temperature among other factors. The researchers found that the temperature inside of a bouncer adds 4-7 degrees to the outside temperatures. Continue reading “Heat Dangers in a Bounce House? – Heat Index Chart Included”

Inflatable Slide Collapses During Arcade Festival

Inflatable Slide Topples

According to various news sources an inflatable slide collapsed at a convention center in Pennsylvania, injuring several people. The slide was one of a few bouncers set-up at a large Arcade and Video Game Festival hosted by Replay FX. The units were rented from an unnamed rental company. A witness says that she saw 4 older girls heading up the slide plus two staff that were at the top of the slide. When the girls got about half-way up the slide she said it just toppled over. She also stated that she didn’t think that the slide looked very stable.

The director of the event made the company pick up the unit and asked for something safer. The slide apparently toppled over because of deflation. The director said that the slide was inspected by the state. Of course, just because a unit has been inspected does not mean that it has been set-up properly or is being properly supervised. If there were 4 girls (of any age, but older makes it worse) climbing up the slide at the same time that would be a serious safety risk. Not only was there too much weight put on the slide, but if the girl at the top slipped the girls behind would tumble down like dominoes. It is also unclear if the slide was properly anchored down, properly inflated or had been checked for rips or tears prior to set-up. Moral of the story: train your staff, make sure they are responsible & be sure that self-inspections are done EVERY TIME your devices are set-up.

CBS Local. “Inflatable Slide Topples At Convention Center, Several Injured” By David Highfield. July 28, 2016

WAFB 9. “PA: Several injured in inflatable slide incident”. July 28, 2016.

Party Rental Bouncer Stolen From Yard


Over the 4th of July weekend an Illinois family woke up in the morning to find that they bounce house they had rented was nowhere to be found. The family had finished up the party around 4AM & went inside to get some sleep. When they awoke in the morning about 9AM the bouncy house was gone. The rental company Morris and Company Entertainment estimated that the bounce house weighed between 250 to 300 pounds. For this reason the police believe that there were multiple people involved in the theft.

While the rental company commented this is the first time this has ever happened in their 30 years of business, this is a perfect example of why your party rental business needs to have Inland Marine Property Insurance. Though it may be rare, these expensive party equipment rentals attract thieves looking to make some quick cash. The unit was worth about $2,500. The rental company is offering a reward for anyone who finds the inflatable.

Continue reading “Party Rental Bouncer Stolen From Yard”

Bounce House Accident at Texas School


On Friday afternoon (May 6), ten people were injured after strong winds blew a bounce house across a field at a Texas Baptist Elementary School. The Bounce House was blown about 30 yards before parents were able to get ahold of the bounce house and stop it from blowing away. Injuries were non-life threatening but one adult was injured by a second grader that was thrown from the Bounce House, another child got a black eye and at least one person was put on a stretcher and brought to the ambulance. Continue reading “Bounce House Accident at Texas School”

Girl Gets Hair Stuck in Bouncer

Girl with velcro stuck on head

In an incident that could have turned out much worse, a young girl actually got her hair stuck in a bouncer. The bounce house had several sections that were attached by velcro. The little girl actually fell through one of the sections and the entire back of her hair was attached to the velcro that was supposed to be holding the sections together. Her father said that if her hair hadn’t of been caught on the velcro she would have fallen through the section onto the ground, possibly getting more seriously injured.

When they heard their daughter scream the parents ran over to the bounce house to find her stuck there. They could not find any attendant supervising the bounce house & all the kids were still jumping around in the bounce house. The parents had to use a pair of scissors to cut off the velcro that their daughter’s hair was attached to. They took the girl to the emergency room but the hospital could not think of any easy way to remove the Velcro. The parent’s had to remove the velcro at home by taking out small pieces at a time. They say that it took four hours. The family is not surprisingly contacting an attorney to file a lawsuit on the incident. Continue reading “Girl Gets Hair Stuck in Bouncer”

7 Year Old Dies in Tragic Bounce House Accident


News sources report that a 7 year old girl named Summer died in England after the bounce house she was inside of was picked up by strong winds and carried over 150 yards away. The bounce house was at an Easter Celebration that had bounce houses that were set-up by a professional bounce house rental company. Many parents commented that they did not allow their children inside of the bounce houses that day because they thought that they did not look safe with the wind conditions that day. Safety experts & other bounce house rental companies agree that the inflatables should not have been set up with the high wind conditions that day.

Continue reading “7 Year Old Dies in Tragic Bounce House Accident”

Tennessee to vote on deregulating inflatable rentals

According to an article by Fox17 News in Nashville, Tennessee a bill will go in front of the “Business & Utilities Subcommittee” Tuesday to vote on whether inflatable play structures that are rented out are actually considered Amusement Devices. The Bill which is called the SB 1694 on the Tennessee General Assembly website states: “Recreational Areas – As introduced, specifies that inflatable play structures that are leased are not considered “amusement devices” and are not subject to regulation by the department of labor and workforce development. – Amends TCA Section 68-121-101.” Continue reading “Tennessee to vote on deregulating inflatable rentals”